Best Ways To Prepare And Apply For Cruise Ships Jobs
There is no doubt to the fact that majority of aspiring seafarers are not aware of how to prepare and apply for cruise line jobs. Cruise lines receive thousands of applications each week with the decks of departmental heads and personnel managers being cluttered with resumes that never receive a second look.
So what brings the difference between success and failure in landing a job on a cruise ship? Through this blog, we will familiarize you with some of the best ways to prepare and apply for cruise ship jobs.
Best Ways to Prepare and Apply for Cruise Ship Jobs
We will now list down the best ways that will help you prepare and apply for cruise ship jobs:
1. Which Cruise Jobs to Apply For?: The first question that may land in your mind is what profile you should apply for. There are diverse profiles with the two major service divisions being the Marine Operations and Guest Service Operations. There are hundreds of profiles that fall under both the divisions. You must pick a profile according to your qualifications and experience level. This is because the competition is really high in cruise ship jobs and cruise companies hire people having enormous experience.
2. Where to Send Applications for Cruise Ship Recruitment?: You must determine the cruise lines you wish to work for and it is wise to apply to every company where the vacancies are open irrespective of the recruiter. You must go through the employment pages of different cruise companies that will provide you the information you need in order to apply for a job. Majority of the cruise lines either hire through recruitment agencies or cruise ship concessions.
You must get familiar with the method an employer prefers you to send your application package and follow their instructions. You must send your application through whatever mode the employer prefers and must also e-mail a copy of your resume and cover letter to the specific address as desired by the employer.
3. Prepare a Solid Resume and Cover Letter: Building a solid resume and cover letter is the cornerstone of applying for any job. You must highlight your qualifications, previous work experience, and skills relevant to the specific cruise job that you are applying. Perform an online research to view some sample resumes and determine the order in which to present the information and you must not forget to specify the job title for which you are applying on your resume. Further, you must not forget to create an impressive cover letter that must highlight your best attributes that make you the ideal candidate for the job.
Try to incorporate the elements that will make your resume stand out and it is wise to customize each resume and cover letter you send out for each application.
4. Apply on Online Job Portals: You can consider filling online applications and sharing your resumes with online job portals, recruitment agencies, and concessions. These are effective tools to grab lucrative employment opportunities.
5. Engage with Recruitment Agencies: You must go through the websites of different cruise companies to examine and collect their authorized hiring partners. You can then get connected with all such authorized recruitment agencies and share your resumes. This is one of the best ways to land a cruise job since recruitment agencies hire people and subsequently provide staff to cruise lines around the globe. However, you must be careful to avoid falling in the trap of fake agencies that misrepresent themselves as if they have the authority to hire.
6. Use LinkedIn to apply for jobs: LinkedIn is one of the best platforms for searching and applying for cruise jobs. It is one of the platforms where some agencies and recruiters advertise jobs and it allows you to post your resume for recruiters to see, unlike other social media platforms. Utilize this medium to land your dream cruise job.
7. Prepare for Job Interview: You cannot rely on going blank when attending a cruise job interview. You must go well-prepared and must prepare well-formulated answers to some anticipated interview questions. This is because there is immense competition in cruise jobs and cruise firms seek to hire people who will thrive despite long working hours and without days off.
Prepare your answers to some of the anticipated questions such as ‘Why do you want to work for our company?’, ‘What do you know about the cruise industry?’, ‘Will you be able to work seven days a week with no time off for 4-7 months?’, ‘How do you feel about being away at sea for 4 to 7 months?’, etc.
8. Boost Your Confidence with Interview Practice: You may feel nervous or anxious before the interview. To do away your nervousness and anxiety, it is wise to practice 1-2 interview sessions with a friend or family member that will provide you feedback that will help you boost your morale and enhance your performance. It is wise to take videos of your practice interviews in order that you can see how you come across to the interviewer, refine your gestures and body language and improve your interview performance.
9. Make a list of questions to ask the Interviewer: You must formulate a list of questions that you will ask the interviewer. Preparing a list of questions is important at the beginning since it will make you appear more organized and confident during the interview.
We hope that going through this blog will definitely familiarize with the best ways to prepare and apply for cruise ship jobs.